This GeoRoute begins in the spa town Bad Liebenstein and then climbs up to the ruins of Castle Liebenstein (with lookout) continuing to the former mining town Atterode and up to the Klinge. There are 22 stations along the trail explaining the natural landscape, the geology and historic mining. One particularly interesting geological site is the Getränksloch (“drinks hole”). Despite the name this is not a store for refreshing drinks, it is part of a subterranean karst system.
- Distance / Category: approx. 14 km, linear walk
- Elevation: approx. 320 – 580 m above sea-level
- Difficulty: moderate – difficult
- Trail characteristics: forest roads, some sandy gravel roads
- Villages along the route: Bad Liebenstein, Atterode, Bairoda,
- Information: Naturepark Information Centre & GeoInfopoint at Castle Altenstein
Text: Bettina Aschenbrenner (PhD), Tourismusverband Thüringer Wald Gothaer Land e.V.