The name volcano makes one immediately think of impressive while at the same time frightening pictures of lava-spewing mountains. The Age of Volcanoes was around 290 million years ago, when they profoundly altered the shape of our continents. The guide for this tour is Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of volcanoes and fire. She explains the most important basics of volcanism using different magmatic rocks and 12 information panels. And she will also answer the exciting question: will a volcano ever erupt again in Germany? The starting point of the Volcano Trail is at the same time the most important attraction of the village: the world’s largest cowbell.
The trail is specially suitable for upper grade school classes.
- Distance / Category: approx. 12 km, Circular trail
- Elevation: approx. 450 – 770 m above sea-level
- Difficulty: moderate
- Trail characteristics: forest roads, sandy gravel roads
- Geological stations: various volcanic rocks, interactive rock park illustrating the rock cycle, Goldborn Spring
- Touristic stations: world’s largest cowbell, forest swimming pool, lookout Grauer Stuhl (760 m above sea-level)
- Information: Tourist Information Floh-Seligenthal
Text: Bettina Aschenbrenner (PhD), Tourismusverband Thüringer Wald Gothaer Land e.V.