Long Haderholz Route
As you walk the 11 km of the Long Haderholz Route you will pass geological points of interest as well as some of the most beautiful views of the surroundings of the Haderholzstein between Seligenthal and Kleinschmalkalden. Here you will see the Kleinschmalkalden granite, one of the oldest rocks in the Geopark!
The walk will also take you to other attractions such as the Haderholz rhyolite, a witness of ancient volcanism, the sandstone that was sold as "Forest Slabs" and the remains of historic coal mining activities in the Al Valley. In Kleinschmalkalden you can admire the Gothaische Church, a very special building in this region. When you reach the tops of the Haderholzstein and the Hohe Warte you will be rewarded with beautiful views of the region.
- Distance / Category: approx. 10 km, Circular route
- Elevation: 370 – 700 m above sea-level
- Difficulty: moderate – difficult
- Trail characteristics: forest roads, some sandy gravel roads
- Villages along the route: Kleinschmalkalden, Floh-Seligenthal
- Information: Tourist Information Floh-Seligenthal
Text: Bettina Aschenbrenner (PhD), Tourismusverband Thüringer Wald Gothaer Land e.V.